Saturday, June 19, 2010

Growing like weeds

These puppies are amazing...while I've had some vigorous puppies in my time, this batch takes the cake!

Their bellies are ALWAYS fat and full and they're always content and sleeping.  I haven't had to coddle or "watch" any of these puppies to ensure they're properly gaining - not even one.  While a lot of that has to do with Porsche and her milk supply (can you say "Jersey cow"?), it also has to do with the "urge to thrive" of the puppies. 

Needless to say, I'm impressed.  It's a difference that is difficult to put into words...probably the easiest way to put it is that I touch them because I want to, not because I need to.  In some other litters I've whelped or dealt with, I've had to monitor the puppies to ensure they gained properly, or had to make sure I walked by the box every 15 or 20 minutes to make sure that the "slow puppy" was put on a nipple when everyone else was sleeping. 

This lot?  Not on your life!! What's amazing is that I thought Lily's puppies were great (and they are!)...but Porsche's puppies are putting them to shame!!  At this rate, they'll be catching up to the noisy brats very soon.  /grin

No comments:

Post a Comment